Sunday, August 23, 2009

I love music. It breaks my heart that I can neither play an instrument nor carry a tune. Just the same when alone, I sing along loudly and dance without reservation.

Of all art forms, I find it the most evocative. Nothing stirs my memory like a song. Joni Mitchell will always remind of my youth, of Darlene and especially Linda Carvette. How often Linda would strum her guitar and we'd all sing along to "The Circle Game." ( ......this song is not meant for one lonely voice and "the more out of tune voices (that's me) the better." ) I can't listen to "What a Wonderful World" and not think about dancing with my father at my wedding. Steve Forbert's "You Cannot Win them All" - my anthem as a new mother juggling work, family, friends.

A favorite game of mine is the desert island disc challenge. You know, where you can only take 10 songs with you. (The BBC version only 8 songs (yikes), one book and one luxury item , plus complete works of Shakespeare and Bible). I'd actually thought it was albums, but learned, no, just songs. Anyway, my brother Mike sent me a contest link http://www.xpn.org/music-artist/885-countdown and I've finally decided to get these fuzzy thoughts down on paper.

First of all, the song exercise is much more challenging then the entire disc. Suspending all logic, I must ask myself how many times could I listen to this, which songs am I least likely to get sick of ? Should I add some classical music (even though I have limited knowledge)? Stefan Grappelli? Do I include a song because it's special to me like the "Franklet Family Theme Song" even though it's simple and repetitive (i.e Grandaddy's "Nature Anthem" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSer4wdHvm8 ). Do I choose a song from one of my desert island cds (Citizen Cope/ Citizen Cope) even though I don't have a particular favorite. And, then there are my favorite bands/musicians - Elvis Costello, Joan Armatrading, REM, Bowie, Lyle, Cat Power. The choices, 10 is just not enough!!!!!!


Anyway, I've worked on this about two days and imagine it may need some revision before it's just right. I picked songs that I have on occasion listened to over and over again on a sitting - particularly "The Bike" and "The Little Acorn." Louis Armstrong had to stay because the song's just too beautiful to exclude (even though it makes me cry) And, I decided, yes, must include Cope and definitely a Paul Simon song because I think he's a genius.

in no particular order
1.Fruit Bats - The Little Acorn
2. Amy Correia - The Bike
3. Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World
4. Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
5. John Gorka - I'm from New Jersey
6.Paul Simon - I can't decide Julio, America, American Tune, Homeward Bound?????
7.Beth Orton - Pass in Time
8. Joni Mitchell - You Turn Me On (I'm a Radio)
9. Citizen Cope - Mandy
10. Stefan Grappelli - Making Whoppee

honorable mentions - "Willow" Joan Armatrading, "If I had a Boat "Lyle Lovett, "I believe" REM (my personal anthem), "Teach your Children" CSNY, "Rebel, Rebel" Bowie, "Hallelujah" Jeff Buckley, "My OLd School " Steely Dan, "Watching the Detectives" Elvis, "These are the Days" 10,00 maniacs, "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen, "Three Little Birds" Bob Marley

No comments: