Wednesday, April 02, 2008













I have the fondest memories of swimming with my mother. Be it swimming at Long Beach Park or Lake Matilda with the Hansa Club, we always swam out the furthest and stayed in the longest. I remember proudly swimming across Lake Matilda with mom. I’m sure it was just a puddle, but it felt like an ocean to me. Our birthdays were just six days apart and I always imagine that it was the Pisces in us that instilled this love of water. Whatever it was, to this day I find it hard to resist a fresh water lake …..or the beach.

Here in NZ, autumn is in the air and the days are getting “fresher” (I love the words they use to describe the weather). At this point, any day could be the last good day. But, yesterday was “fine” (about 22C) and the siren song lured me away from my work. I hopped on my bike and ten minutes later Tahunanui Beach lay before.

It was pretty empty, a few stragglers and my new friend John from the Beach Bum Club.
Yes, as it stands, these are my only steady social contacts. The BBC (hey, Erin another BBC!) is hodge podge of retirees (and me) who are obsessed with swimming in the bay. They are from all OVER. Malta, Germany, Hawaii, England…… and they’ve been very kind. I totally admire their lack of vanity - they are there to swim and are not worried about their wrinkles or their sags. May I have their spirit 30 years from now.

Anyway, enough of that!!! Let’s just say the water was fabulous. It was probably still about 20C. I swam for about 45 minutes milking every last drop. Who knows if it was the last good day of the summer. It’s always a wise idea to treat it that way. Cheers.

3 comments:

Sue K said...

Ah...fond memories are always nice. I also remember blue lips because we would say, "NO the water is NOT too cold". :-) Here spring is in the air. The trees are trying to burst into bloom. The crocus', YEP crocus', have bloomed. They are so sweet. Talk to you soon, Sue :-)

Anonymous said...

Spring is in the air on the east coast as well. My crocus have also bloomed and the tulips are coming up. My bluebells and grape hyacynths are also blooming. The BBC sounds like a fascinating group of people. I also would like to have their spirit and stamina.

Anonymous said...

Well...summer is rapidly gaining on Spring here in Houston! The Angel Trumpet blooms have been glorious this year and my amaryllis are blooming with the iris now, but my plumeria are starting to sprout their first leaves, so I know summer will be here in a blink. I love your BBC group...wish I could join in for a dip.