Friday, March 14, 2008






Barbara. Volunteer crossing Guard.


Picture one will serve to illustrate the flow of traffic.

The primary school is right next to the junior high, so when the bell rings, the flow of children is like hot lava. It is Barbara's job - on Fridays - to get the kids across the street safely.

She scans the traffic with steely eyes. Picks her spot. Then she blows the whistle loud and clear. Two youngsters swivel their stop barriers and cast themselves out into the flow of traffic.



"Check!" They call.


"All Clear!"


Let the party begin. You will notice that Barbara stays free and clear on the shoulder the whole time. There's even time to chat with a passing parent...






Now, given that Barbara could still find herself wondering, is it look right or look left? A bystander could be excused for some skepticism, no?


Not to mention that the crossing guard herself has been known to require a crisp glass of white after discharging her duties. "The pressure," she reports.


But this young crossing guard has stepped up her game, and we've had another day of flawless execution.

7 comments:

Denob said...

I bet you're gonna get so excited when you see that theres a comment.
HAHAHA tricked ya.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to get your comment denob muhahaha. Really. I can't contain myself. I think I'm going to have to come give you a nooggie.

Sue K said...

I think being a crossing guard can be stressful. You are responsible for all those little lives. However, I want to know whether you have morning or afternoon duties? Wine in the morning . . . hmmm. Is it really 5pm somewhere when you live in NZ and work the morning shift? I guess it could be 5pm the previous day somewhere.

Sue :-)

Anonymous said...

Mrs.Franklet, at he poe auction this year (which occured last night) my parents bought a painting of yours.

Barbara said...

Cool.....it's good to know it's in a good home. Thanks for checking in on us, Sam. I like that you leave lots of comments. Say hi to your mom and dad.

Anonymous said...

Barbara -
We absolutely LOVE the painting. We played with it last night and we think we're going to put it over the fireplace in the sunroom. I finally have a Franklet!

Poppak said...

I've got two Franklet pics in my house!