Tuesday, March 25, 2008


More on Easter break. I have been enjoying all the trees. First of all, there are a lot of different kinds of trees that I am not used to seeing. The eucalyptus is common and a quite beautiful tree.


One of my favorites, perhaps because of the name, is the monkey puzzle tree. In Christchurch we saw a tree that looked similar to the monkey puzzle and I now have learned that it is the "false" monkey puzzle.










Both in Nelson and again in Hagley park in central Christchurch we have come across some of the most beautiful specimens, planted in the 1850-1900 time frame. I enjoy seeing a California redwood so far from home. There are also Giant sequoia which are in the same family but quite different up close. Huge Monterrey cypress round out my favorites, along with the totara, and the deodar, which is a cedar. Here are a few pics:






6 comments:

Sue K said...

Those are cool trees! I'm impressed with how big they are.

Anonymous said...

Have y'all seen any koalas?

Anonymous said...

What kid wouldn't want one of those trees in their own backyard. Even I would have fun climbing into one.

Duane said...

Sam we haven't seen any koalas. I think they are in Australia only. Maybe when we get over there for a visit....

Anonymous said...

Aww man. Heard of all the species of eucalyptus koalas only eat 3. I guess those types dont grow in NZ.

Anonymous said...

the face of a child can say it all -- esp. the mouth part of the face.

jack handey