Thursday, June 05, 2008

Fall is gradually giving way to winter. The days are getting much shorter and the nights much COLDER. As there is no central heat in most houses in NZ, we light our evening fire and hang around the living room where it's warm and cosy. Life has slowed down considerably.
The boys are doing just fine. Dean's life is all about soccer. He plays on the Cobras every Saturday and for the Broadgreen Reps (his school soccer team) for tournaments. His new friend Jackson is super. Jackson lives in The Glen which is a beautiful area right by the coast. It's where we hiked with the sheep. Yesterday Dean asked if he could go with Pipsy (Guiseppe) to the Tahuna Soccer Fields right from school. Of course, I said, that's why we came here - to play outside and move about freely.

Andrew has fit in nicely. He's got several mates - David being his best buddy. He's a happy and kind friend to Andrew. They play Lego, swap Rugby and Pokemon cards and watch Spongebob together. Andrew has outfitted the two tents downstairs into a swank bachelor pad. He sleeps there every night...who needs a bed!! Otherwise, he's obsessed with rocks and exotic animals.


Duane spends his days tending the veggie garden, surfing the web and contemplating a self-sustaining lifestyle. Last week we went to look at chickens, though we're not sure our present house works for that. Every two weeks he goes to The Glen to do some work for Susanna. He's a jack-of-all-trades cleaning gutters, chopping wood, fixing computers and righting the letterbox amongst other things.

Me, I go about making pictures, reading books and overthinking what to do next. One day I want to work at a bookstore, next become a graphic designer. I definitely think it's time I learned to knit! I've made a couple of friends and that's about all I need at the moment.
As a family, we've played a lot more games together. Andrew has learned to play "Oh, hell" and is a force to be reckoned with. Last weekend we had a marathon Monopoly game. Dean firmly trounced each and every one of us. Often on Saturdays we go the downtown market. Duane and I pick up fresh produce while the boys squander their allowance. Dean (Mr. Sweet Tooth) gets himself a nice chocolate crepe, Andrew another rock for his collection.
It's all been good so far. Sometimes on a beautiful day, I feel this panic that I must go outside and do something. Then I remember it will be like this again and again. I am not on vacation.

3 comments:

Erin said...

could you make life seem any more wonderful, Barbara? I'm so happy for you and your family... Know that your friend in Austin, TX is thinking about you guys and smiling.

Anonymous said...

I am truly happy for you guys. It does sound ideal. But being just a little pessimistic, I am wondering; Besides your family and friends (and some of the foods), do you miss the excitement of the big city, the culture, the arts and entertainment, the museums? Can a vacation last forever?

Barbara said...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I am going to start a Scrabulous game with you (Erin) this week. Duane wants to play, too.

So far no, Margit, I haven't missed the exciting city too much. For such a small town, Nelson has quite a bit going on, art house movies, lectures, a music hall, theater and in the summer the action never stops. BUT, I do miss my work. I LOVED going on the road and the excitement of the art shows. I liked the people I met along the way (like Erin :)) and the artists.

Anyway, you'll see how exciting Nelson is when you come to visit!

xo, Barbara