Friday, August 22, 2008



“Actually, a small breeze of homesickness had been blowing over me for the last few days. I suspected, however, that I wasn’t homesick for anything I would find at home when I returned. The longing was for what I wouldn’t find: the past and all the people and places and cats that were lost to me. I’d been thinking a lot about that lately – the inevitability of separation, in one form or another, from all those we love, and, in a different way, from ourselves as we were in the past. “

Alice Steinbach, from Without Reservations


Just a little excerpt from a book I recently read. Alice’s keen observation articulated a familiar thought. Whether we move or not, we are often laying to rest a person we once were. It is only with a distance of space or time that we become acutely aware of that passage. And so it goes. We move, we change ……pieces of our old self dies, while new growth brings about yet another chapter.

When I first came here I was so obsessed with the future. How long will we stay? What will we do? Where will we return to, if and when we return? Somehow I’ve mellowed. I’ve met so many people who have lived and traveled the world. I’ve accepted the possibility of transience, the idea of being in a moment and letting go of the distant future and concrete answers. I am here and I am happy.


...…….what’s new? Well, Andrew’s lost a tooth. The daffodils are blooming - as are numerous other plants. (Quite frankly we’ve had flowers and foliage throughout the winter.) We've been invited to our first dinner. The days are once again getting longer (yeh!) and I smell spring in the air.




This Texas girl is ready for the heat!

1 comment:

Sue K said...

Beautifully said! Sue :-)