Friday, July 25, 2008



About six weeks ago, the oven door in our rental shattered. There I was upstairs washing dishes while my cannelloni baked, when suddenly I heard a loud crackle. I looked behind and saw the oven door splintered into a thousand little pieces. Good news, dinner had been spared. Even better news, it was not my problem.

Much to my surprise, I have enjoyed being a renter in our fully furnished Nelson home. Rather than feeling untethered and homeless, I feel remarkably liberated. Instead of spending time and energy on improving my abode, I go hiking or biking. Perhaps I’d rather the walls were white instead of yellow. But, does it keep my up at night? No, I sleep quite soundly and carefree.

Used to be, when Houston had a torrential rain, I would fret…are the streets flooding? Is my studio safe? Have we sprung a leak somewhere? Now, I revel in the glory of bountiful rains and place a bucket beneath that little leak on our stairwell…..it’s not my problem.

Oh, and the money we’ve saved! There are so many things I haven’t bought - the dishes, the décor, furniture and home improvement. I never realized how much a home sucked out until I let go of ownership. About my only indulgences these days are fresh flowers and good food.

And, yet, this place feels like “home.” We are SO lucky to have this fabulous house. After four months, I am still as satisfied as the day we moved in. I like the layout, the dishes. I love the gardens and our big family room where we gather round the fire. And, Smudge, what a cat! In fact, if Kathleen and Robert asked, we’d probably buy this house…….

Wait a second. Then I’d have to fix that leak, and paint the walls. Oh, and what about central heat? New furniture, towels. Shouldn’t we recarpet????? AHHHHHH!!

4 comments:

Sue K said...

Ah yes! The joys of home ownership are both good and bad. When I gave the window blind guy my credit card number I was thinking what else I could buy with that money. However, I enjoy sitting on my patio looking at the mountains and thinking, this is my home. ;-)

Barbara said...

Yes, there is something special about "home." Can't wait to see the blinds

Anonymous said...

Just imagine the liberation when you can give up the car!

Barbara said...

Well, at least we're down to one........