Friday, February 15, 2008

I looked at the calendar this morning. I can't believe we've only been here a little over three weeks......it seems longer. It's so nice hearing from everyone, keeps me connected, thanks. I know, I know, I need to make connections here, too. That's something I'll ease into. I want to choose my commitments carefully. I was invited to join a beach bum group yesterday. They have a certain spot at the beach where they meet from November - May. Now, that's something I think I can do. .....can you believe I rode my bike to the beach yesterday....10 minutes.

I've started on some new artwork. Got a book on lowbrow artists - way cool. So many of them draw their inspiration from old comics, illustrations, tin toys and carnivals. Lots of the stuff that I really dig. I so much more love Outsider, Folk and, now, Lowbrow work than I do "High Brow" art, they don't seem to take themselves so seriously. Just the same, the work is extremely creative and out there. I'll never be edgy enough to be an Outsider or Lowbrow, but I'm certainy going to let it inspire me.

I love listening to music while I work. A lot of time I think of my friends in Houston. Thanks for turning me on to Death Cab for Cutie, Michelle. I think of Rick when I listen to the Duhks. Marty is Wilco. Return of the Grievous Angel... Sue. Any Joni is John George. Jeff Buckley, Tom Hagemann. Motorcade of Generosity, Stephen. Elliott Smith (I love him), Paul Cobb. The Hudsons, my home girls. Of course, then there's Willie. He's John and Jacqueline, but mostly he's Texas. The list goes on and on. I only wish I'd packed more music. What are you listening to now???

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi Barb! I was reading another blog today and ran across this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1328265931/bctid1333272775

Joe Bonamassa is a 20 year old from New York - but opened for BB King when he was 12! Amazing guy - check out http://www.jbonamassa.com/
or more info and
http://blogapotamus.com/
for the review of a recent concert.

xoxo Bon

Bonnie said...

Well - that first link doesn't work - so you can go to the blogapotamus site and check it out there...

Sue K said...

Hi B, I loved this entry and I'm glad you think of me when you listen to Grievance Angel. It is one of my favorites. Hmm . . .CDs, what box are they in? Unfortunately, that box has not been upacked yet.

xoxo
Sue ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Catherine, Mommy emailed me a link to one of your blogs she thought would interest me. But as I scrolled down I saw rode my bike to the beach in 10 minutes and beach bum group. Now I am very interested or maybe jealous!! haha. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time over there. I think it is great! Other countries seem to have the coolest things!! Why is that? I hope you continue to enjoy it and maybe one day I will run away and join you!! hehe