Friday, February 29, 2008


It was a good week in Nelson. We got a bit more social and, today, Andrew's invited his new friend David over.

I think the highlight was Thursday. I volunteered for Andrew's interschool swim meet. As in Harry Potter, the school has four "houses" and throughout the year they schedule competitions (kind of like Quiddicht). This was the first one of the year. My job was to determine who came in third in each of the swim events - a VERY intense job. I've got to tell you, it's easier to determine first than it is third. Fortunately, you work as a team and my partner Lee and I would concur before we'd award the token.

Andrew has been swimming every day since school started (that's his practice pool above). Physical activity is a major part of the curriculum; we love it. Nonetheless, I was a wee bit worried about his swimming skills. He was up for three events - a "mad dash", freestyle and backstroke - all across the width of the pool. While watching him do the backstroke, I was beside myself with excitement....... I didn't even know he could do that stroke!! Lost in my enthusiasm, I totally missed who came in third because Andrew came in second, what a surprise! Must have been all that swimming at Ryder's house. (we miss you)


Anyway, it's all fun and WAY laid back. The kids are smiling and nobody gets caught up in the placing. And, it was such a nice opportunity to meet some parents. I met Bronwyn from the North Island, Jill from Australia and another woman from South Africa. Everyone is from somewhere around here; it makes me feel less of an outsider. Anyway, we're coming a bit out of our shells and it feels nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara and Duane --

So exciting that you have made the big move. Just wanted you to know we hae some friends here in Bend, OR that might be moving to New Zealand (Christchurch) soon. I have sent them a link to your blog so they can learn about your experiences. Hope all is well and we get a chance to break away from our new visit and find time to visit you...even though we never made it to Houston which is oh so much closer!! Love Amanda and George

Barbara said...

Good to hear from you George and Amanda. We'd love to see you.

Barbara and the boys