Tuesday, February 19, 2008



I'd never really shifted gears until we moved to Nelson. Through garage sales and buy/trade NZ, we've each managed to get bikes.........and around here, you need (REALLY WANT) them . Everyone rides. I swear three year olds are biking. (Thank goodness Andrew's riding now lest they send us back to the States. )

The riding is fantastic. They've converted old rail lines to hike and bike trails. The small towns around Nelson are connected and they have coastal routes. Dean rides to school everyday. I get him down the hill and across the "big" street and then he's off on his own. We fly down the hill and it's FANTASTIC, the bear is getting back up. I've yet to make it all the way , one day I'll slay that beast.

Saturday Duane and I rode around Monaco Peninsula. It's a charming point and an easy 8k- 10k loop - mostly coastal riding with just a few hills. Best part, The Honest Lawyer Pub.... a fine midway point where we enjoyed a Mac's brew and some wedgies! If you come, we'll be sure and take you there!!

5 comments:

Sue K said...

Is there a place to rent bikes? I can't wait to get there just ride to all these cool places; especially the pubs.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Aren't wedgies something you get when you ride too long?

Anonymous said...

Life is good when you shift gears.

Sam F said...

Awesome. I went on a B.S.A. (boyscout) campout and we went on a 10mi. bike ride. It was awesome. Like every 5 min. there was a 45 degree downhill.

Barbara said...

Yes, plenty of places to rent bikes!! Very funny ME and CH...though I am feeling a bit tender from all this biking.